Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Review of reviewers

I came across this article yesterday: "New service aims to offer arts tickets at lower prices."

While I am excited that you can get price-gouged for slightly less now, I find it odd that they couldn't get the website up-and-running on time. They only have ONE merchant, after all. A super-secret inside source reveals that they switched banking services at the last minute with complete disregard as to how that would affect their website's capability. Thus it came as a total shock to them that they weren't able to take orders. I digress.

Speaking of Doug Mason, who is reviewing in this town anymore?

Is Doug? I saw in the knoxnews archives that he did put up quickie reviews of Henry V and Taming of the Shrew, so I guess he's still at it.

Paige Travis? No longer with the Metropulse, apparently Paige has hung up her reviewing hat for awhile.

The Metropulse? Loot got a certain Knoxville biographer to review the show under pseudonym, and Leslie Wylie just came off of a Theatre Knoxville review as well as two previews for ETSS and the Co-op.

Anyone I'm forgetting? Does the Sentinel have anyone else that reviews? It seems like the Metropulse has had random people write reviews over the past year. Can anyone help fill this picture out?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like this site is the only place to get reviews, not overviews, of shows in Knoxville (for now J) Anyway, I just spoke to Knoxtix and their site should be functional sometime tomorrow.

6:59 AM  
Blogger Green said...

p.s. on the article up there.

You can't reserve tickets by calling the Actor's Co-op anymore by my accounts. I tried to do that for last Thursday and they said they didn't do that anymore and to order the tickets through KnoxTix. That's fine and understandable, I suppose. I think. Yes, it is. Right?

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there Joe! Found your theater blog and love it! The reviews we get here in Crossville are mostly "program reviews" where the reviewer mentions every single person in the show and all the main technical artists, and is mostly free publicity. Even so, it is really nice to see my name in print in a positive light every once in a while. Can't wait to see Hedwig on Saturday!

10:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If your theatre seats more than 500-600, a review in Knoxville can definately kill a show. Friends and family CANNOT sell that many tix night after night.

Only serious TV star power is reviewer proof in this town.

of note:
http://www.tn-theatre.com/tta-about.html
scroll down to awards, 1996. wow.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

BTW did anyone notice the long winded review of Mama Mia? why do we need a local reviewer to put in their 2 cents about a national tour? I think the paper should spend time supporting local ventures, thank you very much. but I guess I'm just off my rocker.

and did we really need Mr. Duckett to inform us that Mama Mia was silly, frivolous, and short on plot? Can this be NEWS to anyone?

10:52 PM  
Blogger the badge said...

My friend Spencer who played Curly in last year's tour of Oklahoma got more press in the Sentinel the week of his Knoxville run than just about any local show in recent memory. It's just another glorified advertisement...does Broadway Knoxville need that kind of press to break even? I'm so disenchanted with the Sentinel's theatre section that I never check to see what they're writing about. A Momma Mia review? There are so many things wrong with that.

5:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home